Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Leaving Canada

Prior to leaving, I decided it would be good to hang out with some of the best friends I have (excluding those half way around the world or who couldn't come haha). The boys came up to "The Wick" where we did what we had been doing in Uni for the past 2 years: whatever. It was a great time which included swimming in disgustingly cold water, pizza, Kinect Olympics and randomly: Paintballing.  Highlight: Shooting Aakib in the face

 Leaving Canada was pretty surreal. The flight was at 10pm on August 27th 2012. I pretty much packed the night before and day of, which left for a little bit of confusion, but overall it was pretty smooth sailing. Heading to the airport it had not even come close to hitting me that I was about to leave the only home I had known for the 6 months. 

The flight was delayed for a good two hours, leaving me plenty of time to enjoy my last Tim Horton's hot chocolate (yea I don't like coffee, so what?).  It then finally came time to board the plane. I had purchased and upgrade so I got to board the plane before all the regular mere mortals.

Once I  was on the plane I found my seat and waited to see who I had the luck of sitting with for the seven hour flight. To my surprise, and older age woman came and sat beside me. She seemed very pleasant and we chatted for a few minutes before another larger lady came and squeezed in. As we began to take off, it had still not struck me that I was leaving for 6 months. 

Now, back to the elderly lady. A very nice lady indeed, but to my horror I would come to find out that when I had sat in my seat, I had unknowingly sat down into a history class, Subject: Her family dating back to the time of Moses and the freaking slaves.  After what was a surprisingly short 6 hour 15 minute flight (the pilot meant business), we landed at London Gatwick Airport and I said my farewells having achieved a A+ in history.

I then waited in the airport for a solid hour and a half, with customs being pretty easy. Grandad strolled in and picked me up and we were off to where my mom and uncles grew up: Borehamwood.




No comments:

Post a Comment