Thursday, 27 December 2012

A home away from home- Dublin, Dún Laoghaire and Bray

I apologize for not writing on here for a.... actually no I don't apologize, screw that.

Haven't blogged in a while. Cool story. Here is a blog about my trip to Ireland way back!

One night as I was sitting in my room at Kirkstall Brewery, I spotted a status from one of my fellow exchange students, Naomi (from Australia). She and some other friends were going to Dublin, for really cheap too! It caught my eye, and as I wasn't doing anything that weekend, and as usually happens on exchange, you go for it.


So after booking flights with those cheeky monkeys at Ryanair, we headed out at 5 am to catch our flight. The girls had been out partying before so they were a bit tired to say the least. We were quite the bunch walking into Leeds Bradford Airport. An Aussie, a Mexican named Gala, a Canadian (moi) and the only seemingly domestic English person, Katie!

We got on the flight, blah blah blah. We landed. Surprisingly, customs was a breeze for me, while the American in front had quite the difficulty getting through quickly.

We got out of the airport and took a shuttle to the city centre which was a decently long ride where we caught some sleep! When we arrived we were greeted by many buildings of all shapes and sizes including this peculiar needle 
 which was quite, maybe even unnecessarily tall.

Everyone had gone without breakfast that  morning, so we decided to stop in at a little cafe for some much needed food. I had a traditional Irish breakfast (looked quite a bit similar to the traditional English breakfast.... hmmm) while the other had... well I can't bloody well remember now can I.
 After this we all headed to Ashfield house, a hostel where we were staying for the trip. It didnt look as bad as I thought it would, it was quite nice really. It wasn't  The Ritz, but it'd do. That's if I would've stayed there anyway..

We were to early to check-in, and while the other dealt with some other stuff ( other travel plans and sleep), Naomi and I went exploring Dublin.  We set off into the streets aimlessly looking for some cool buildings to take pictures off. Dublin city centre is quite the place. It's like any city with busy people all around, but it has a vibe to it, that "Irish feeling" that you expect to be there in the first place. Our first stop was Trinity College. This was probably the nicest campus I had seen in terms of being picturesque. It had an old feeling to it that made it extremely interesting. Plus there was this giant gold ball that I don't know the significance of just chilling in the centre of campus.

We walked around for a bit and found ourselves in the temple bar area, which also happened to have a shopping area which was quite busy and had the coolest vibe about it. Music was everywhere, there were performers, whiskey shops, pubs, all of it, just as you'd imagine. It wasn't that crap music you see sung by that Beiber toolbox from Stratford,Ontario, it was good stuff of all kinds. There was even a boy band that could actually sing and play instruments there... wow lol!

Dún Laoghaire

Now this is where stuff happens on the fly, it was a pretty cool experience.
About a day and a half  before I had come over I had talked to one of my mom's cousins in Ireland, telling her I would be coming. Short notice I know, life of a student?

I was unsure of if we would be able to meet up, but when I checked Facebook using the Wifi at the hostel, sure enough Deborah had left me a message. After much searching and buying a phone card, I found myself on a random train to Dún Laoghaire (try to pronounce it, you won't get it trust me) to meet up with family members I had never met before.

On the train it seemed the further away from the city you got, the more beautiful Ireland became. I can say this from first hand experience it was one of the most beautiful places I had ever been.
Ok back to the eventful day.

I had no idea what to expect stepping out onto the childhood stomping ground of my grandparents, but in the weirdest way it felt like a home away from home.

I waited by the water for a bit taking in the area, when I got a text from Deborah that she would be there any minute. I will say it is weird meeting someone you are related to for the first time, but not in a bad way. Little did I know just how many people I would go on to meet.

*DISCLAIMER: I MET SO MANY PEOPLE I WILL PROMISE I WILL CALL SOMEONE THE WRONG NAME IN THIS SECTION, DO NOT BE OFFENDED, I HAVE THE MEMORY OF AN 100 YEAR OLD MAN*

Deborah, Jackie and Elle then came around corner, and again in a funny way it didn't feel like the first time we had all met.

From there we talked and went along till we got to the swimming area where my Grandad used to wreak havoc called the 40 foot. You can begin to see from the pictures exactly how picturesque Ireland is. Following our walk the fun began as we went to the my grandads sisters house where it seemed like a million people I didn't know had gathered to say hello. Everyone made me feel right at home, and most importantly: fed me. It's true what they say about there's nothing like family.

It was getting dark so we headed to my cousin Eimhin's house to get some grub and relax. We got Chinese (amazing).  It had been quite a long day so I hit the bed with force, game over.

Bray

Next morning I got a big bacon and egg breakfast courtesy of Chef Patrick. I then headed on another train to meet my cousin Elaine to head to see Mary and Carly in Bray.

I had met these three years back, but it was nice to meet them in Ireland for a tour of Bray. After a brief catch up session in the house, we took a walk up Bray Head. Oh the sight. You could literally put the pictures I took straight onto a postcard. When you envision Ireland, this is what you imagine. Hills, fields, horses, the whole thing! After the long walk up and down and a nice meal, it was time for goodbyes! Fortunately I'll be heading back January 2nd-4th some point! 

I arrived back in Dún Laoghaire for a second meal and got ready to hit the town hahah. The monumental moment of this night I will say
was figuring out that oysters.......are not Evan's thing.  After some drinks and a good time I awoke to remember I had left the rest of my global crew in Dublin City Centre and they may or may not think I am in a ditch somewhere.

So we went for a brisk morning walk up  Killiney hill to do some sightseeing (Pictures in the hands of others! Will update soon) for some more amazing sites TO BE UPDATED.


BACK TO DUBLIN

When back in Dublin City centre, I met up with the others who were all hurting units from the previous evenings shenanigans. Gala was set on a city tour, which we joined in on for a brief amount of time.

We went to the City Hall, the halls of Justice, saw the remainng pieces of Dublin castle, and a poets house before getting some nasty takeaway and  heading to the airport.


All n all it was a great trip, although the plane landing was by far the scariest thing I have experienced on an air plane. I didn't really have time to catch my breath....hockey practice was waiting for me straight off the plane.















No comments:

Post a Comment