Monday, 8 October 2012

Hopping in a car with a stranger can end up being......

A great time, well, maybe not all the time, but in this case it was awesome! So before I came over I decided that I wanted to try and play in the Millennium World Cup (A massive European paintball championship). Little did I know I would end up meeting some awesome people and having some good times I won't soon forget, and the championship hasn't even happened yet!

So on the Friday night the owner of the team and  the site where the team trains (National Paintball Centre in Penkridge) called me up and let me know how I was getting down. I was to meet someone at a train station in Leeds that I'd never been to before and they would then drive me to some place in the middle of nowhere (sorry Pikey) where I'd stay for the night before hitting the road again Saturday morning. Sounds like the start to some movie where a serial killer reels in someone via the internet. YOLO

So I grabbed a cab to the Leeds train station, waited around a little bit then I get a text "Look for the car with two Japanese kids standing in front of it, i'll be out in a minute". I'm about to be kidnapped and my dad probably won't be able to go Liam Neeson in Taken for me. Sweeeet. 

Turns out that Dicky, Martin and Brennan (a.k.a Mongoloid) were pretty awesome people. We talked about Canada (Brennan ripped me apart about my voice-still does to this day) and paintball along with other things making for a quick car ride. We then arrived at Pikey's house after travelling down a road that I'm going to recommend to a director/producer for a horror movie (or film, as they say in the UK). This is where I met some other members of the Millenium CPL team Birmingham Disruption . Along with being the friendliest and funniest of guys, it so happens they can play paintball pretty damn well.

We stayed up till around midnight with Pikey's fascination with hockey ("ice hockey") keeping us up watching Scott Stevens destroy hockey players lives on YouTube.

We hit the road in the morning starting with a Sausage and  Egg McMuffin. They taste the same everywhere in the world, and when you eat them they are great, but after it was the worst decision you've ever made.

  After a couple hours of driving we arrived at the field, blew up the bunkers. My teams practice wasn't until the next day, so the BD guys let me jump in to get some good practice. Turned out to be a good day weather wise and even had a little 100m sprint and MMA fighting involved at the end (Brennan finished the day with a shite record).

 That night I went to my teamate Ali's house. We were starving so we decided to check out the local carvery. I hadn't been to one and there aren't many around in Canada. Turns out that it may be one of the single greatest ideas anyone ever had. You pay around six pounds and get a choice of Turkey, Roast Beef, or Roast Pork , or a combination. You then get a Yorkshire pudding of various sizes and every other piece of roast dinner you could possibly imagine (besides the meat, you can have as much as you want).

Needless to say I almost passed out after finishing my meal thinking my stomach was about to explode!

The Sunday was a day of scrimmaging, it was fun to meet all the new teammates and get to know the field layout while playing BD, and the Firm (from Manchester).

I then hit the road home, and then remembered the next day was Monday and yelled an expletive.

No comments:

Post a Comment